Saturday, October 5, 2013

Day 16 - Vocabulary and Thoughts on Sun's Rays

I just wanted to provide a few terms you may run across when trying to best understand this treatment. It is a combination of the following vocabulary:

Melanogenesis: the process of the body creating more melanin, or pigment in the body

Balneotherapy: treatment/therapy due to bathing

Heliotherapy: treatment/therapy using the sun

pseudocatalase: an artificial catalase (enzyme) that helps remove high hydrogen peroxide levels from the sun; this is activated by sunlight

This morning I wanted to go a little later to get some stronger rays. I planned to stay until 10:30am but instead finished around 11am. Part of me is almost sunburned, but not quite. I didn’t want to get this close to getting burned but I think that was part of the consequence of staying out too late. I think I got a little more UV-B than I wanted to. It’s amazing how quickly you can see the effect on your body in such a short time.


My goal also right now is to try to get all my spots to be the same rich pink color. I’m getting there, slowly, but the hands are tough and a couple underneath my left arm too. I have a week to go so we’ll see how that works out. One of the things that surprised me a bit was the importance of the angle at which the sun’s rays hits your body. For example, while I lie down, some of the rays hit my arm at an acute angle but if I raise my arm up to get perpendicular with the rays, it feels warm right away. As such, I’ve been trying to manipulate my body’s angles and positions to maximize the strength of the sun’s rays.

No comments:

Post a Comment