Friday, October 11, 2013

Day 21 - My Version of Melanogenesis and Jerusalem

My non-physician/research scientist version of meleanogenesis:
1. Skin around spot turns a little tan
2. Spot turns a little pink
3. Very thing, slight white interface develops between the tan spot and the white spot
4. The melanin surrounding the white spot becomes slightly darker/active
5. A small dot forms between this interface

By the way, this process takes weeks if not months for even a spot to form. So, we’re talking years before start discussing possible larger repigmentation. After speaking with another traveler, he said he saw the most effect after 3 or 4 years, but ultimately did this treatment for, I believe, 6 years total. He went from 80% depigmentation to probably 10-15% is my guess during this time. Make sure, when we discuss this treatment style, that generally it is discussed in the units of months and years not days and weeks. I also say this to address that secret, inner desire/hope found in folks with vitiligo: 1) for full repigmentation and 2) for it to happen extremely quickly. Unfortunately, that is not the current reality at this time. Hopefully though it can and will be in our lifetimes, given enough attention, devotion to research, effectiveness of treatment, and acceptance by the healthcare and pharmaceutical industry.


I was able to make an essentially 24 hour trip to Jerusalem. It was a great trip. Though slightly challenging to get into Israel, it was worth it. Instead, I did not do a full morning and afternoon tanning session but just did a morning one. The doctor said it should be okay, especially having basically finished my treatment plan. I also plan to do an afternoon one tomorrow upon returning. In any case, while crossing the border, there’s obviously security and the border control agents ask a lot of questions (I have US citizenship by the way). My best suggestion is to be prepared to talk about what you’re going to and have any evidence of tickets or reservations in case they ask for it. Some people may find all of these questions extremely annoying and bothersome but I understand why they do it. This is a volatile, religious region that demands high security measures. I was probably asked 15 questions and I believe it was for two reasons: 1) to give them time to look at me to see if my identification matched up with my appearance (the agent probably looked at me 15 different times to ensure this was true) and 2) to read my demeanor to see if I was lying or not. Their job is to basically read people. I’m pretty sure almost all average travelers will get in, but will be given a range of hard questions to get through.

No comments:

Post a Comment