Sunday, September 22, 2013

Day 4 - Challenging Day

Today was definitely the toughest so far. It's beginning to feel a bit of a grind doing the treatments, being here, and stuck living in a hotel. It's definitely all mental. And it can be hard to look at the spots and see that they look exactly the same, just a little pink. It's a marathon not a sprint and just have to keep plodding along, controlling what I can control, and trusting the process.

I basically did the same routine as yesterday. For some reason my head felt a little sensitive today. Not a big deal, but perhaps due to the fact that I did a fresh shave on it last night and it got a little more sun on it.

Yesterday and today have also been a battle with the runs. I think I have a mild case of traveler's diarrhea from a salad at the hotel restaurant. I guess it's bound to happen so nothing new but just not fun. Hopefully it will be done by tomorrow. I've already felt it slowing down. Yesterday was rough though. Felt like someone put a clamp on my stomach. But I still have to eat and drink water to stay nourished. That was a little bit of a challenge.

My hands have started to get a little pink, which is good. I'm just going to try to keep all the lesions on my body at a healthy pink. I actually ramped up to 7 minutes on each side in the morning but then pushed it back down to 5 in the afternoon. I definitely felt some itch in my chest and groin area so want to make sure I'm not going up too quickly. I'm thinking that I'll probably use this week to do 5 minutes on each side, then next week up to 10, and then the last week I'll try to do 15.

I was also curious what kind of UV rays I've been getting. Apparently it's more of the UVA (longer wavelength) than the UVB (shorter wavelength), which I think is good. I believe UVB can cause more damage and due to the location, air, etc. of the Dead Sea, the UVB rays are attenuated, or weakened so it's much easier to stay outside with the UVA rays without getting sunburned.

I spoke with another traveler here who is getting psoriasis treatment. Man, I had no idea how bad it is. He said it's always itchy and he's trying to keep his body moist. It's affecting dating life, work life, etc. He's actually on medical leave right now. From a lifestyle perspective, I definitely can't say I have it worse than him. But we all have our own stories and challenges.

It's also important for me to have small wins and routines throughout the day. I've been doing 75 pushups each day, watching 1 movie a day, and trying to read some more books.

Today's internet was definitely the best of all the days.

No comments:

Post a Comment