Friday, September 27, 2013

Day 9 - Managing Expectations

Managing expectations is probably the most critical piece of any treatment, but perhaps particularly for this type of treatment. Unlike my psoriasis friends, who have seen tremendous improvements over the course of several days (I'm very happy for them), it is not such the case for vitiligo. Before I was taking pictures and trying to document changes, but this will not happen over the course of days. Months and years is the better unit here. At the beginning, I was full of unbridled hope and excitement. No matter what you read or what people tell you, you always think you're going to be the one to re-pigment in a matter of days and prove everyone wrong (obviously, it's good to be hopeful/positive but realistically so in order to avoid disappointment down the road). Now I have calibrated my expectations much better. Certainly, it's not a bad thing to have hope, but to manage my emotions, it's better to keep any possible positive results in check. My current expectations: to have an amazing tan and pink spots instead of white ones when I leave. My tan looks incredible. Repigmentation is another story. The time here is just a kickstarter for the greater longer treatment to regulate hydrogen peroxide levels over a period of time for stabilization.

This type of treatment plan is a marathon not a sprint. I met a fellow traveler who did this treatment for 6 years and has seen tremendous results. He was very diligent in his treatments and yet he's still trying to maintain and stabilize a couple small areas on his body. This is a lifelong lifestyle change. This is the new normal.

Feeling a little tired. Will probably sleep a little earlier tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment